relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Friday, June 17, 2011

It's My Blog and I'll Write if I Want to

I probably write about the same things over and over, but I believe there are some universal truths so it is going to allow for me to do that.  That is my opinion and this is my blog.  As I have grown older and deeper into my faith, I have a different understanding of my life.  I have written many times about how "winning" can be defined many different ways and some would argue that is how losers speak, but I believe that and you can call me what you want.

I had a conversation with someone about the recent clinic/camp I am attending in Iceland and the comment they made was that when they go to these things, it is all about basketball.  Basketball then the area, then the relationships.  This person was a young coach who is driven on getting better and winning games and championships, I understand, I used to be that way.  My response was for me, it was first about the relationships, then the surrounding area, then the basketball.  Basketball is last on my list in something like this...it is about learning and meeting new people. 

I truly believe that I will leave this place with new friends.  New friends that have met up here with me and new friends that live here, and I may not take anything away basketball wise (not true, got some good drills), but it will still be a success.  How you can experience anything new especially something as drastic as cold weather in June and daylight at night and not feel successful, then you have your priorities skewed. 

Someone else asked me what my expectations were for this or for that here and I try and not have expectations when coming to places like this, so far away from home.  When pushed further about what my expecations were, I said simply my expectation is to experience what is here, appreciate it and to never be disappointed.  That is actually a philosophy I try to use every day in every situation however unreasonable it may be.