relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, June 13, 2011

Tindastoll Basketball Camp...Sauoarkrokur, Iceland

We have finished 1 1/2 days of basketball camp here in Sauoarkrokur and there are some things I am finding universal.  I guess you could say universal considering I have only been around kids from the US, Greece, Makedonja, Serbia, Albania, Kosovo, Bulgaria and now Iceland, but there are some things I see similar.

First, they are eager to learn.  I think maybe kids in the foreign countries are more eager because I am from America, but because it isn't something that they take for granted.  In the states, we take for granted that basketball is around all the time with great coaches, great clincs, and great games on all the time. 

Second, all kids appreciate some attention.  Where I coach, it may be somewhat less than here but it is because I am around all the time.  When I have gone to foreign camps or even camps in the states, the kids appreciate your attention.  They appreciate your taking the time to joke around with them.

Third, all kids get tired and get what I would call...squirrelly.  I knew it before, but often wondered if it wasn't just American kids that did that, now I know better.  But it isn't because they are rude and it isn't because they are being disrespectful, it is because young minds today are often thinking about "what's next?".  I think adults are doing it also that is why you see so many unhappy adults, and we are older and wiser than they.

The group that I am helping with seems like a pretty good group of kids and I mean as people as well as basketball players.  We have a couple of really good boy basketball players, but there are a legit 8-10 of the girls who are good.  If they were back home, and were together at a school, they would be winning a lot of games and getting a lot of attention.

The best part about being over here is everything...the people, the weather (sometimes), the scenery, the day lasting all the time, the food (really, it isn't bad) but the worst part is as usual me missing the family.  I don't know what has happened as I have gotten older, but I could move far away as long as I had them.  I love Iceland, I am not quite sure I love the weather (I LOVE cold weather...in the winter, here in June and being 40 degrees...not so much) and could learn to live here.

But, the thing that I would miss and I know it will happen when I land in Boston is that the United States is a special place.  It is a special place for many, many, many reasons, but the biggest for me is that it is home.