relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Don't Ask "why?", Ask "what?"

Last night, I had a good conversation with one of the locals about religion.  I am a Christian and the discussion was about religion; their doubts, concerns, and beliefs.  The biggest question they had was that how could a God allow bad things to happen in the world.  My response was short with some analogies, but I used Tony Dungy's (former football coach of the Indianapolis Colts) words from his book "Quiet Strength".  He says that when something bad happens (his young son committed suicide without anyone knowing why) that you shouldn't ask "why?", but "what?" meaning what can I learn from this and be a better person and use it as a positive example as a Christian.

How often as coaches have we asked that question about many different things that happen to us?  I know that I have done it often, but if we take what Coach Dungy says and apply it to our lives we can remain more positive or at least attempt to.  The religious aspect of his comment probably means more to me than the overall meaning (read the book to understand where he is coming from...I don't want this to be a religious post, but it kinda, sorta is).  What can we do at any given moment?  Basketball coach Don Meyer says you should make every decision with the intent of what is the next "right" thing to do based on your values.  No matter the outcome, you then look for the next "right" thing to do.

I don't claim to know everything (I am sure my wife would disagree), but I am smart enough to listen to people that have experience, are smart, and understand that I can learn from them.  It is humbling to travel to different places, at home and abroad and how you can learn about life.  If you travel, talk to people, look at the environment and don't take something away positive you are missing out.  I truly believe that life is not about me, it is about helping others and trying to make it a better place for other people.  I know, however, that I fail...often...every day.  But I can continue to try whether it is discussing religion, posting a blog, working a basketball camp, or enduring a bad season.  That is probably one of the few selfish things that I struggle with is hoping I am doing what is planned for me.