relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Well, This is What I Think and Since No One is Wrong Anymore, I MUST be Right!

I think one of the more frustrating things that we deal with in a position of leadership is the ignorance (ignorance means uninformed, not stupid) of what we do or deal with.  Many people see the superficial, outward appearance of coaching and teaching, but don't understand every thought/issue/side that went into what we do.  Most people form their opinions on their own experiences or information level and not on all the information that is available. 

Often when  discussing something that I have done like summer basketball or practice times, people are uninformed with every detail that we deal with.  What seems inconvenienced for them, and it very may well be, is not inconvenience for the majority of people involved.  We will not make everyone happy all of the time, but we have to make decisions for large groups of people all of the time.  By doing that you are going to anger people, often by people who don't want to be in a position of leadership.

And it doesn't happen just in sports, it happens in every day life.  When you get frustrated standing in line at the airport because it is taking so long on security, remember why it is taking so long = safety.  When you are frustrated that you waited until the last day of the month to go and get your tags for your vehicle renewed and the people aren't going fast enough for you, remember that you waited this long and you don't know what jobs the workers are doing at that point. 

When you encounter a rude customer rep, you don't know what they are going through professionally and better yet, you don't know what they are going through privately.   Maybe death or divorce, or something worse than that may be some of the baggage that they dragged to work that day, but hey, your time is more important than everyone elses.

We are a selfish people and with the Internet, we take those uninformed opinions about our selfish wants and print them as if they are fact.  When someone gets hurt, we say "words shouldn't matter" and yet I would be willing to be that many, many suicides or bouts of depression have occurred over just those things...words. I'd also be willing to bet that if you used words and splatter what you thought about them online, they would have a different opinion.

 But we continue to do these things, me included but I am trying, and then think it is wrong to be held accountable for what we say.  "It's my opinion, I can have it if I want"; yep, but why keep an uninformed opinion?  Instead of blasting away at officials in leadership positions, figure out why something is going on without deriding someone.  And believe me, until you have been in a position of leadership, you have no idea what I am writing about.  You may inform yourself on all points of an issue and still not like the decision made, but it is easier to offer suggestions and have opinions than it is to make decisions.  I know this from first hand knowledge because I have been in both positions.

I have become a coaches advocate, probably to the extreme.  Because I know that I work hard, that I continue to try to improve, I try to put people in positions to be successful, I WANT TO WIN and yet some of the things I read and hear makes me think that people don't believe this.  I think some people believe that coaches don't care if they lose or not, that they aren't trying to be successful and I believe that to be farther from the truth than you can imagine.  I think how some coaches deal with adversity such as losing will be much different, but all want to win.

I also believe that too often organizations create division by uninformed ideas and opinions.  In my school there are actual rivalries between sports teams and the band, and other groups.  Those rivalries are formed because of uninformed people whether it be students, teachers, or coaches.  They are formed because of lack of gym or building time to work/practice on their craft, and they are formed because of our own selfishness.  It could be a selfishness that we want every single minute of time of the student so that we can be successful or it can be because of the stress put on some of these leaders to succeed, but it happens.

I bet it would be amazing what a school could do if everyone were on the same page, but it doesn't happen...human nature won't allow it.