relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Camp Ends in Iceland; Headed Home Today

I am looking forward to getting back to the "real world" this week and coaching my own team.  We have lots to do and a short period over the next 9 days to get it accomplished.  But I would not change this experience for anything.

I have written before and will again that when you finish a camp like this, there are two very conflicting emotions going on.  First, for me, is a semi-depression.  This place has become my "home" for the last week and a half.  I know the town, I know some of the people, and I know the kids at the camp.  I have been helped by many of these people in many different ways.  But you also have the overwhelming excitement about getting home...to see the ones truly important.

I don't know if I learn much anymore, it's not that I know everything, and trust me, I am always looking to learn something new and many people would be willing to tell you how unintelligent I am.  What I think happens to me anymore is that what I truly believe is reinforced.

1.  People are good.  I am sure if I started to live in places I have visited that the experience would change, but as a visitor...people are good.

2.  It is important to experience life.  I could easily spend the rest of my days sitting on my couch and staying in southern Indiana, but I refuse to do that.  Traveling to Iceland, Serbia, Makedonja and other places are what living life is about.  You can read about things in a book, but you don't really understand unless you are there.

3.  It is about relationships.  Some of the relationships I have developed over the last week will stay with me forever.  Of course, we are spending much time together this week and it will get less and less, but with facebook and skype, I will be able to watch some of these people that I have grown very close to grow up and live their lives...that is special.

4.  It's not about me.  I have been blessed with so many things in life and money is the least of these things.  I only feel that is is right to give back some of that.  When I think of all the people that have helped me along the way while growing up and living, I am overwhelmed by the number.  Hopefully, this week I have done a little something like that for someone.

5.  Besides faith, family is #1.   Being away from my family has not been easy.  It is one of the downsides about experiencing life and where do I draw the line with my selfish wants and taking time away from them.  My faith helps, some will disagree with that, but it is important to me, but thinking about my kids and wife really get to me when I spend this much time away from them.  I cannot wait to see them, hug them and kiss them as they are the most important things in the world to me.

Today we leave here, Sauodrakrokur, and fly to Reykjavik and tomorrow morning I head back to the USA.  I am sure I will be sad today as we finish camp, as I am sitting here typing this, and I am equally sure that when we touch down in Boston and I am closer to home, my sadness of leaving here will be replaced by an overwhelming feeling of happiness for being home, not just southern Indiana, but with my family.