relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Are You Open to Change?

Coaches are leaders, you have to be or you get ground under rather quickly by lots of different aspects of coaching.  In being a leader, we are often too prideful, too arrogant, too whatever to change.  I think at some point you need a "style" or way of playing and stick with it, but you must tinker with it year by year especially at the high school level.

If you coach college basketball, you can recruit players to fill your needs, your wants, your "style", but in high school we often can't do that.  We survey what we have and try to make each individual and the team as successful as possible in that time, in that season.

With all that being said, I coach differently today than I did 20 years ago (yes, I have coached basketball for 20 years now), in fact, I coach differently than I did 7 years ago and even differently from last year.  For me, I need honest reflection and then change or no change.  Don't get me wrong, we will still do some of the same things that we have done in the past, but we will change some things too.

I feel that same way as a person.  If I am the same person today that I was 20 years ago what a waste that time has been.  But I change from year to year and month to month.  I am trying to be a different person today than I was last March and for sure the previous March and I will fail and fall back ocassionally, I am sure, but I do want to be different, better.  For you, you might not want to make the effort, you might think you are fine the way you are now.  My question for you is "how is that working for you?"