relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, May 10, 2010

Mental Toughness is Everything


If you play athletics, especially at a younger age, there are certain lessons that will inherently be learned. Often, they are very hard lessons to learn. How to lose, how to win, how to be unsuccessful and show class, and how to be successful and show class.

It is those lessons that you learn mental toughness. Mental toughness is being able to function and continue doing what you are supposed to do at all times. You will be given so many opportunities to learn it in athletics that you will be prepared for "real life".

As an athlete, I have learned to deal with many tough times in my life. It can be something as hard as divorce or the death of a loved one, or it can be something as simple as dealing with a family member or student in school. Those mental toughness lessons from athletics have helped me to continue on in life....without medication.

I often tell my students/players that life isn't easy or fair and the sooner you understand that, the happier you will be. However, like me, they will learn those lessons on their own, the hard way. Luckily for me, in my experiences with athletics, I learned how to deal with getting out of bed on days when lying there, depressed would have been much easier. Those days when you can barely look anyone in the face because of shame or embarassment...it is mental toughness that gets me up and moves me on.

There are two choices in life...competing and giving up. With me...I only see one choice: to compete, every second, every day.