relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"I am not playing basketball so I can concentrate on_________."


(pictured is Taylor Stone who played 3 sports while at HHS all 4 years)
I have coached high school athletics at some level for the last 18 years. I cannot believe it has been that long, and there are some consistent things I have heard through those years that seem to recycle themselves.

The main line I hear about once a year is "I am not going to play basketball next year because I want to concentrate on baseball/grades/family/track/whatever. Often it is from someone who has some basketball talent which always amazes me, but it amazes me less and less each year.

A few observations: I have never seen these guys work on their games in other sports. Now, to be fair, just because they aren't accessing our fields/weight facility/ or coaches doesn't mean they aren't doing these things elsewhere. Many I have noticed rarely make a great change in their academics, in fact, often their grades aren't as good. They do not have basketball or the coaching staff on them making sure they do what they need to do. Finally, maybe they are spending more of their time with their family because I do not see them at school anymore. If they want to play a fall sport and not basketball, basketball can help them keep their grades up during the winter months. If they want to play a spring sport, they can keep their grades up and stay in some kind of physical shape. Often, I think, these guys just don't want to play anymore and think they need some reason that they can blame it on.

I often tell these guys that there are people who would love to be in their position to play basketball. In fact, not all of them are just students at HHS, but those who can't walk or run because of physical problems. I also tell them that there is one 4 year window where people make a big deal about something that you do other than your parents, it is special to play basketball.

I want those guys who do quit to understand that there are no hard feelings, but I don't understand it. I am not the kind of person to hold grudges on kids for decisions they make, but basketball is not for everybody. In my previous blog entry, I wrote about the time and commitment it takes...it is something that comes easily for those who want to be there and not so easily for those who don't.

My final observation is this, 100% of the guys who have quit basketball regret it at some time. They may or may not tell me, but it gets back to me. I hear or am told by them how much they missed it, how they regret their decision and would do it differently, but they can't get that time back. Some even come out after a year off, but never seem to get back to their previous talent level.

I have had parents and students ask me "why do you get so upset when someone quits?" Besides investing time and caring about these kids, I often use the analogy of working together on a group project. If you and a couple of other people work, and work on a group project, then on the day you are going to give the presentation one of your "teammates" doesn't show up for school, it is frustrating.

Again, I will never hold a grudge against a kid, or treat him differently in the classroom for a decision not to play basketball. My frustration stems from the idea that I believe that being part of the basketball program is a special thing, and will provide memories and life lessons that will last a lifetime.