relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, May 3, 2010

Developing Individual Players


Developing individual players is an important part of any program. We, as coaches, must work to develop basketball players from the time they start coming to our camps in kindergarten, all the way until they graduate as seniors. In fact, much of what is shown as kindergarteners will be shown all the way through school.

I have heard, as I sometimes do, criticism that the coaches do not "develop players" to the best of their potential. Now, I am not going to say that isn't totally correct, but I do know that players in our program, again from K thru 12, are given the opportunity to do just that; develop themselves.

Some of the things available for Henryville boys' to do to develop their games are our camps which we hold in the spring and in the fall. During those camps we show individual drills that each player can work on, and in the fall, we allow them to play also. I think it is imperative that when they enter 5th grade (which is when our "teams" form) that they know what a baseline and a sideline are...how to line up for jump balls, and for free throws.

Also, the gym is open every morning at 7 AM for any player to work on their game. During the off season, I have yet to be approached by many players to stay after school to work on their games. I understand that spring and fall sports are being played and that takes some of the players, I support that they play them.

We also have the opportunity for them to try out for AAU teams, there is the new TSI Nolan league available in the spring and summer. These leagues will allow them to play on teams together and with players from other schools to see where they stand skill wise.

Finally, we have the entire month of June for them to work on their games and play. Our practices and open gyms in July are for the high school, but I have yet to turn away a younger player who wants to come in and shoot around, or play. I would love to be bothered to the point of frustration that people want to use the gym, but it hasn't been the case.

I could use any number of players as an example who worked on their games, but if you want to see or think back of an example of a player who took what we showed him and then he worked on the game...by himself...without direction; take a look at the picture associated with this article. Shane Meadows, Henryville's all time leading scorer. A guy who scored over 1700 career points, 1300 in his last two years, and won a ton of basketball games. He was shown the skills and then worked his tail off, many times by himself, to make himself better.

So the next time you contemplate if we develop our players, please ask me to help in anyway, think about what you have done to help your son, think about what your son has done, both in the gym and at his home; and then reconsider your comments.

When you are thinking of not sending your son to camp (I understand not every player can make every camp), or not having them play in the Nolan league (I understand vacation time), or allowing them to skip our June practices (which I don't ask for much), or making some excuse why they don't have to work on their game; please do not lay the blame at my or any of our coaches feet. There is no one here, on our staff, that wouldn't help to develop your son, I can promise that. And if you ask someone who won't, come to me and remind me of this article!