relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Thank You for the Kind Words

This year there have been some interesting things occur.  Once it became known that I was going to be finished coaching at the end of the year (I am resigning, NOT retiring), the season has gone rather uneventful.  Teachers and administrators haven't been consulting with me on the behavior of our players (could our guys actually be living the "STOP and think" poster we have in the locker room? or do they all realize that it's somebody else that will be coming in next season ), our kids haven't gotten into trouble (haven't been caught, at least...I am not naieve), parent grumblings are less (they know they only have to endure me for a short time), and we have played relatively well.

As it has gotten out, I have received numerous facebook posts, texts, tweets, and emails about what I stand for and many people have had kind words for me.  It is quite humbling.  I have recieved from people in this community and in the state of Indiana words that are hard for me to accept  and from people that I greatly admire and didn't realize they knew I existed.  I don't know how to take it other than to say "thank you".  I hope that they understand that I do less and less for me, but to glorify God.  I want people to see me and think that I am doing a good job in walking with the Lord.  I have done and will continue to do things for the relationships that we have here today and future ones.

If we can make a positive connection with someone and help that person out and to get through the day, to me, that's what it's all about.  I believe that we were given the greatest gift of all (salvation) and that we are called to pass that on as best as we can as human beings.  I had someone ask me if I did some of the things I do because I didn't want to go to hell.  My response was that the farther I have grown in my faith the less I think about where I will end up after death.  If I am living a servant leader life and trying to do what Jesus called me to do, I figure it will all take care of itself after this life.

It seems less than humble to write an article about how people have thanked you.  Seems way, way less than humble, but I will try.  Not one single person who has reached out to me in the last month is lost on me.  The fact that you have taken the time to reach out to me for whatever reason is a humbling and nice thing.  It does help me when I think I am spinning and going nowhere fast that I am making a difference even if it is a small one.  But remember...it isn't about me, and isn't about you, it's about what can you do, whoever is reading this, to make the day a better place for someone else.  And if everyone is doing that, then somebody could be reaching out to you...right now.