relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Discipline

As a coach, I completely expect our players to behave, to set a positive example in the classroom, in the hallways and in the community.  I held them to a higher standard and our handbook of rules does so also.  I fully expect for teachers to approach me and tell me about situations that our players are involved in and if they are doing something that needs my attention.  But....

I did get tired of being a "back up" discipline plan.  It got to the point with some teachers that were common offenders, I would just say "write them up".  I guess it really is like being in administration, if the same teachers are writing people up all of the time they can often be over looked.  If you write someone up once every 3-5 years, it gets dealt with...immediately.  In coaching, I would say the same thing happens, if a teacher comes to me who never does, I take it much more serious than those I feel make me 4th on their discipline list.

1. Verbal warning
2. Verbal warning
3. Some kind of in class punishment
4. Talk to Coach Hunter
5. Write them up.

#4 is quite flexibly moved from 1-4.