relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Parents = Leaders

We recently had an accountability meeting at our school about what some think are low test scores.  I don't disagree with that at all.  In fact, we can always strive to be better.  But we had that meeting, over 30 faculty members attended and around 5 parents attended.  Every student's parent/s of over 500 students were invited.  It was on our marquee for a week.

I could not believe it.  Then I thought about if my child were doing okay and I was happy with the school would I have attended...probably not.  But then I realized that is when I needed to attend.  But I couldn't believe only a few parents attended.

Now, in defense of our parents.  The type on the progress report was rather small, but it was on every one.  It was on our marquee, but only one side.  And really, they may not have understood what the meeting was about or if they were invited.

But I hear it a lot, negative comments directed at our administration and teachers.  Lack of leadership, lack of effort, lack of (fill in the blank).  Honestly, where does leadership begin when it comes to schools and teams?  It starts in the home and we deal with the ramifications of what goes on there.  As a teacher and coach I can hear parents speaking through their children.  Wether it be verbally or physically, you can see it.

I think it is our responsibility as men, as parents, to want to see our leaders be successful.  If they are successful, it can only help all of us.  Now, of course, if they are phsycially or verbally abusive, if they do something illegal or immoral, we should fight to have them removed, but anything short of that is no excuse to undermine authority. 

I fully accept responsibility as a parent in teaching my kids the basics before they get to school.  I fully accept teaching my children not to undermine authority unless absolutely necessary.  And I fully accept my responsibility as a coach as a leader within the confines in which we find ourselves. 

This is just another thought that entered my mind last week and got me to thinking due to the lack of participation of our parents at that one meeting.  I really do believe two things: This problem is indicative of all of society, but I think more parents, if aware, would have shown up.  I also believe that we have many, many, many GREAT parents who are doing the right things and it is much appreciated.  But "Respect Authority" is one of the resolutions in The Resolution for Men....great book.