relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Indiana Basketball Coaches Association

Well, I am going to pull back the curtain on this one...probably violating some kind of unwritten rule, but hey...it's my blog! The IBCA has their annual clinic this weekend. It is a great time and the IBCA does a great job (two greats in one sentence; trying to soften up the blow of what follows). There are many great (again) speakers and we will have the opportunity to see many different things. This year I am personally excited to see, listen and maybe meet coach Don Meyer. If you don't know Coach Meyer or who he is check this video out: http://youtu.be/UXZkpTetst4

But the unwritten rule that I am about to violate is to let many people know that I/we will learn and network as much at a local restaurant close to the clinic which is at Lawrence North H.S. in Indianapolis. At that restaurant which I do not visit but one time a year, not even the one close to home, I will catch up with many, many old acquaintances, network with friends, and meet new ones. I will be able to ask different questions of many coaches about their summer, their camps, other clinics they will attend, how they handle different situations and more than anything talk and relate to what we as coaches go through day to day.

Many people think that time is all about "partying" and I will be honest, some coaches don't use that time the same as many of us do, but it doesn't change the fact that much can be learned at that restaurant just as it can be learned at the actual clinic. So, I will head up, sign into the clinic, listen to some of the speakers and eat dinner at the local restaurant. Hopefully, I will learn a few things and connect with some old acquaintances and have a great time with friends.