relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

As I Age (How Did I Get This Old?)


I went to one of those motivation seminars a few years back and I really enjoyed it. There were many speakers who gave great ideas about being motivated, every single day of their lives.

Rick Pitino spoke and I realize that he isn't always the best role model, but who is? We all fall short, don't we? Anyway, he said that as he grew older he realized how life works more and more. In our 20's it is all about working to attain any professional goal you desire, in your 30's it is about attaining that desire, in your 40's and 50's it is about helping others.

These kinds of comments hit home. Why? Because it is true.

In my 20's, once I realized what I wanted to do, I became motivated to get that one thing professionally I wanted. It took until my 30's to attain that goal. Then after growing in my faith and having children and a wonderful, faithful wife...I realized that it isn't about me. It isn't about what I want, it isn't about my happiness, but yet it is.

I love to go and socialize with many people usually basketball coaches. When I was younger I did so hoping that they could help me out in some way, what could they do for me. Now as I age, it is more what can I do for them. How can I help them? I have all that I need. I have all that the Lord sees fit for me to have. I have a beautiful, healthy family. I have a job that I think I am appreciated in not that it matters, but it does somewhat. I have many friends and acquantances that help through down times.

It isn't about me. In my 40's, it is about how can I set a positive example and help others become what they want to be. And I am smart enough to know that I fail at this often, but the goal is to strive to improve; two steps forward and one step back.