relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, March 28, 2011

Houston...No Problem

The National Association of Basketball Coaches meets every single year concurrently with the Final Four in the same city and close to the action. Coaches, mostly college, converge on the site to meet, go to clinics, get free stuff, and mostly socialize and network.

Last year, I joined the NABC and attended the clinic in Indianapolis. This year, I decided to join again and head to Houston. All of this was decided months ago, tickets bought, hotel gotten. Then Butler won their region final and are headed down and now the University of Kentucky is also headed down that way.


I am looking forward to seeing many friends I don't see during the season, but there could possibly be a chance to see somebody from "back home".


I have read numerous recent posts that UK Coach Calipari outcoached UNC's Roy Williams. I just can't see it. What I saw in watching their game yesterday was a bunch of players for UK making plays and executing and UNC players not. Does that mean one guy got outcoached? Not sure...I would be willing to bet that Roy Williams was trying to get his team to do all of the things the armchair coaches thought he should be doing. Bottom line, credit should go to the UK players for getting it done.


How amazing is it what UCONN has done over the last 20 days? 9 wins in that short amount of time starting with its run through the Big East tourney. Can they do it for two more games? If so, it will be one of the greatest athletic team achievements in recent history.


VCU, Virginia Commonwealth, has gone from a new thing this year (1st 4) and ended up in the Final Four. Great story, great kids, young, good coach.


Is this John Calipari's first Final 4 or 3rd leading three different teams. I am sure he will get tired of answering that type of question all week.


Finally, Butler...first team from the state of Indiana to ever make back to back Final Fours? Really? That is hard to believe.


Good luck to all four teams. I am looking forward to the practices on Friday as I head out to Houston.