relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Friday, March 11, 2011

The Hits Keep on Coming

It only took 6 years as basketball coach, but I finally got my first anonymous letter asking specifically for my resignation. The letter had no return address, and was postmarked from Kokomo, IN which is a 2 hour and 30 minute drive from Henryville. Either this person went way out of their way or decided to drop it off while visiting someone.

This isn't a posting to espouse what I have done as coach, well, maybe a little, but I thought I would answer this letter.

"I am writing this letter because you have not been successful (63 wins in 6 years, by far this being the worst record this season) you haven't done what you promised when you were hired (all that I promised is that I would work hard and try to make us as competitive as possible) and the end result is that your teams (sic) performance has been a total embarrassment to our school. (Unlike anonymous letters that seem to speak for many people who I guess shall remain anonymous)

The letter goes on to say that I am consistently outcoached, failed miserably, I lose my team as the game progresses, player attitudes, enthusiasm, and effort has not been what it should be. (The last I vehemently will argue against...the player attitudes, enthusiasm and effort has been very good, you can argue the first part of the sentence, don't attack the players).

"Step down and allow someone else the opportunity to turn this program around....I really don't think you have a clue...."

"Resign now...you don't have the support of the fans nor your players" (I offered my resignation and was told it wasn't necessary. I have felt very much support from fans and when I told the players I offered my resignation, it was overwhelmingly no from them).

"I will be making my feelings know (sic) to the AD as I will relate to him the rumblings that I have heard more and more" (Everyone has the American right to do so, but if you think I will take the advice of an anonymous letter, you are mistaken. In fact, it has probably motivated me more to come back next year...thank you).

"Resign or I will pursue having your coaching contract not renewed by taking this to the school board". (Do so if you feel it necessary, then we will know who you are)

"Please quit blaming your inability to achieve any success (2 conference championships, two sectional runner ups, and a McKee Munk Invitational championship in 6 years and overall winning record until this season) on your players." (I think the players have to accept some responsibility, but I apologized to the team that I wasn't able to find some way for them to be successful this year through all of our adversity.)

I am not sure, but I think this person wants me to resign. The words resign, step down were used six different times. I often decide if I want to continue or not and may sometimes be leaning towards resigning. If I felt this was what the majority of people wanted, I would do so, but I find it hard to take seriously an anonymous letter mailed from Kokomo on the Henryville basketball program.

I have been told numerous times during the season by many different people that we are doing the right things and continue doing what we are doing. The players seem to support me and the coaching staff as most of the players come to my room every day during our study hall. They listen, they play hard, they have a lot of enthusiasm in practice, and they played their behinds off this year when we struggled vs. good teams and a lack of eligible players.

This type of thing would have really bothered me a few years ago, but now...it doesn't unless it would be someone close to me. It is a shame, and I will keep it to remind me of many things that will remain off this blog.

If this person wanted me to resign and thinking that this letter would get the job done, it has only made me want to dig my heels in more so to prove them wrong. It has motivated me, but not in the way that person believed.