relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The End of Another Season

Oh what a season we had this year. Worst record in a decade at 5-16, suspensions, season ending injuries, and a coach who happened to get much dumber this year as opposed to the 12-11 sectional runner ups last year and the 15-8 S.A.C. champions from two years ago. But that is all part of it, I guess.

When a season ends, and you are speaking in the locker room. I never really know what to say. To the seniors, it is over and nothing you say can help that feeling. It hurts, but it really hits them the next day when the bell rings for last period and they can get in their cars and go home as opposed to practicing. Trust me, the season is long with open gyms in September, conditioning in October and practice in November.

It is easier to speak to the under classmen. They have more years to play and in the case this year, we actually had one step up and apologize to the team and vowed we wouldn't go through this again next year. I believe him, he motivated me.

But then as the tournament continues to be played and you have to sit and watch, I enjoy it, but I also am jealous wanting to be part of the atmosphere as a coach. Some of the players attend the sectional after a loss, others cannot get themselves to show up...I understand both.

Then in the case last night of a big upset, you get to see a team who has struggled all year celebrate as if they have actually won the entire tournament. You can see a coach, who you know deals with the same garbage, stress, time committments as you, walk from the gym to his locker room and swear you didn't see his feet touch the ground. I have had those feelings before and I can respect what he is going through. And you can feel for the losing coach in that situation. I have been there also and you realize how hard it will be to get up this morning.

We dealt with so much adversity this season and I blame myself. I don't know why, but I believe that each year that will be the year where we don't deal with negativity. And every year we do.

So now, I get to spend time with the kids and wife and start preparing for summer basketball...didn't I say it was the end of another season? Basketball never ends...