relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Day 32: Take it to the "Man"



Day 32:

We are all going to have issues with co-workers, bosses, and family members. The worst possible thing you can do is discuss your issues behind their backs. I do it sometimes and it's not something I am always proud of, but try to say only things that if it got back to that person, you would be willing to stand by those words.

Complaining or discussing issues about those around us can help alleviate the issue for you. Sometimes just venting is all we need and I think it can be a good thing, but to continually do it and never address the issue is not a healthy thing. You may feel better, but the person you are speaking with may be getting the wrong idea. If all I did was complain to my co-workers about the things I don't like about my wife (there is nothing I don't like about my wife, by the way), but never share all of the good things, they could get the wrong idea about her.

Be careful. My advice would be to do this as little as possible, be prepared to answer for those words if you do it, but the best piece of advice is go to that person and discuss your issues. If you do that consistently, you might not always like the answer and it may even guide you to something/somewhere different, but at least you would know and there is minimal confusion.

Challenge: Take your issues to the heart of the matter, but do so in a respectful way. Best way to see if you are being disrespectful is have someone else say the same things to you. How did that make you feel?