relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, January 5, 2015

Day 15: I'm a Teacher

(Gilbert Hunter, Eliphalet Hunter, David Hunter, and me: 4 generations)

Day 15:

When I was a teenager there was a television show called Family Ties that aired weekly. The writer of the show was politically liberal, so he decided to make the oldest son of the family the "bad" guy by making him a Reagan type politically conservative character. It backfired. Alex P. Keaton became the hit of the show and was the most popular character. I loved him. I decided that I was going to be involved in banking and finance and make lots of money because THAT is what I wanted to do and would make me happy.

Then I went to IU Southeast and realized that maybe I did not really want to do THAT. In fact, I had put so much into being rich that I did not know what I wanted to do. Then one afternoon I was approached by the Henryville basketball coach and asked to coach the freshman basketball team. I was scared at first, but realized that I was a coach. How could I coach full time? Become a teacher.

As I became a teacher, I started to realize how much I enjoyed being around young people. Now, not elementary aged, but middle school and especially high school. I enjoy teaching them social studies, but also life skills, skills that they may not know they need or even want until they graduate in just a few short years. What I've found is that most people do not want to learn the easy way, they have to learn the hard way, but if you let them know you understand they just want to know they are not alone.

What I found is that I do not have a job that I have to do, I have a profession I get to do.

Challenge; Take time to think about what you are doing in all aspects of your life. How's it working for you? Can you or should you make changes? Then do it. There are 2 great times to plant a tree: 10 years ago and today, get to work.