relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Friday, November 15, 2013

The Idea is Not as Fun as the Doing


We have been having intramurals the last month for kids 1st-5th grade.  We started with a camp and have had games since.  It is something that most coaches do not really look forward to, and I would be one of them.  However, the idea of camp and intramurals is not as fun, to me, as actually doing camp and intramurals.  Once I am in the gym, I love it most of the time.  There is just something about being around kids that makes you feel like a kid.  I mean, I never really have to grow up because I get to hang out in a gym, teach basketball and be around young people...every year.

Even practice is that way for me sometimes.  There are days I am not feelin it being at practice.  But once there and I get myself engaged, I love it.  I love it.  I love many sports, but basketball is special to me.  I don't know why.  I was good at baseball, both of my grandfathers and dad worked more with me at baseball, but I love basketball.

I truly enjoy getting to meet new people because of basketball and seeing old friends because you are brought together by a game that will be played.  I hope my love for the game that has given me so much is seen in my passion.  Whether it be working with little kids, coaching high school kids or helping the head coach with details that can sometimes be mundane, I love the doing way more than the idea most times.