relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Gone Are The Days

Gone are the days (almost anyway) where I keep track of what I did and expected something in return.  Okay, I guess I still do it sometimes, but I am trying.  As coaches, if we received back for what we put in, we would be rich people.  But aren't we?

I realize that I and many of us are taken advantage of by many different people.  Sometimes on purpose and many times not on purpose, but aren't we rich in other ways?  How many teachers have as many kids as we do that come back some day and thank us for what we did for them?  You can't rely on that with your current players, but many of them some day will understand what you have done. 

I think with me, I deal with my pride too often.  I spend so much time away from my family and helping other people's children that I expect too much sometimes in return.  Some of the stuff I do in being away from my family is extra stuff that I could eventually use to help our players, but often it is almost mandatory stuff to compete at a higher level.  But I do it and expect kids to play, work, and compete at basketball in return.

It is in those moments that I try to remember it isn't about me and it isn't about what I do, you aren't supposed to keep track of that are you?  Then where is that fine line in which you are selfless but being taken for granted or advantage of?  I think with each person they have to find that line and realize that it is different in every single situation.  Because what would be unjust in one situation is not in a different situation.  I can't fully explain it, but you know it when you now it.

So, gone are the days where I keep track of what I give vs. what I receive (yea, again, I concede I fail but am trying) because it isn't about me.  It is about the team, community, school, program, and players.  We just have to get them (the players) to understand the same thing.  We have to get them to understand that there have been many people who have come before them on whose shoulders they are standing.  What are they going to do about that?  How do they want to be remembered?