relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

To the Balkans and Back

How do you wrap up a two week, life changing trip in a short blog? I have literally spent all day online, on the phone, and talking to the family trying to catch up with everything.

The trip I took was life changing. You can not go to these great places and hear some stories of poverty and hopelessness some of the people have over there and not realize how lucky we are to live in the United States. Most of the people there are very happy living there and are wonderful, wonderful people living with less than the poorest in this country and often happier than even the richest person in this country. That is one of the biggest compliments I can pay them with....I was overwhelmingly impressed with the character of most that I met.


It is amazing how giving the people of that area are to each other and guests. Few people in this country would be willing to sit and buy drinks for everyone at any point...maybe it's the cost, but I feel it is something that we have lost along the way here. I met wonderful people over there and became attached to them in a short amount of time.


What has probably hit me more than anything is the adjustment of being home. No t.v., newspapers, very little contact with family or Internet, no American pizza, anything I need on demand, my own car....all things I went without for two weeks and now, here it is again. I can't imagine what people in the military go through when gone for long periods of time in war zones and then come back here.


I can, in no way, exlain in written words what I experienced the last two weeks. From not seeing my children to everything that happened over there...the written word can't do it. If you see me, feel free to ask....and be ready for an earful.


I will sum it up as I have to everyone about the trip. The worst part was not being able to see my family, the best part was everything else. Facebook is wonderful, and I will stay in touch with many of these new friends, but it's not the same. Hopefully, one day we will meet again.