relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Coach=parent

My good friend Tane Spasev talked about what a coach is and he came up with the simple statement that is the title of this article. I try to make our team as much of a family as possible. Probably some of the parents and fans might disagree with that assessment, but I do the best I can...which is all I can do.

I am so thankful for all of the help of people who have helped me along the way. From my close family who are pictured here, to teachers and coaches through the years, to now friends in both coaching and not.


I would never intentionally hurt these people for selfish reasons as they have done much, and given much to me. Sure, I have probably hurt some of them along the way, but it was never done for selfish reasons. In fact, I have often been supportive of ideas I didn't like because of who was supporting it.

Don't get me wrong, I won't go along with just anything, but over time my mentors/friends know where I stand, and if I am surprised by something they do, then shame on me. I would feel that a couple of years is plenty of time to know where they/I stand and what we need to do.

Watching the giving and loyalty of people in the Balkans has changed how I think....a little. From supporting my assistants to caring for those who really want to be with us, hopefully I have done a good job with that. I am always trying to get better as a coach, but also as a person.
It's something we should all do....reflect, change, reflect, change, reflect.