relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Friday, August 7, 2009

Standards....Do We Really Have Any Anymore?

Anytime you are in charge of a large group of people that represent more than just themselves, you must have rules. That word for me has changed over the years from "rules" to "guidelines" to now I am changing them yet again...."standards". Standards sounds more cooperative "for us" than me mandating "rules" on them. Also, I like to get feedback on some of the standards we have, some of them are unbending and I will be firm in resolve with them.

I believe that HHS basketball players will be and should be held to a higher standard. So our standards are used to make sure they reach that higher standard. When it comes to enforcing standards there are a couple of things I like to tell the players. Discipline yourself and others will not have to, and if you think that if I were to catch, see, or know about it and you might think I wouldn't like it, you might want to rethink doing it. For that split moment, they need to think ab0ut the reprucussion of that action.

Some of the standards that we like are included in a paper that the player and their parent will sign. I want everyone to know what my/our expectations are.

1. I will wear a white dress shirt, tie, dress pants, dress shoes, or approved attire by the coaching staff to games...We and they represent more than ourselves. They represent me, their school, the community, and many eyes are looking at them. They need to be dressed appropriately.

2. I will ride the bust to and from games during the season....a couple things on this, as per contract, I am responsible for the players to and back from the games. It is in its basics a liability issue for me. Also, when we win everyone wants to be together, but when you lose, you like to ride home with your parents and girlfriend and go out to eat and be consoled. I feel that we need to share in that moment as much as the joy of winning. That is when teams are built.

3. I will not allow my girlfriend to sit with me during any playing of games....the players need to be focused, period. Also, I have had people comment how bad it looks if kids are hanging on each other, and it is not a perception I want of my program.

4. I will get to class/school on time...this is a problem for all students, and seems that it should be a simple thing to follow, but it isn't. Our lax society has allowed for it to be okay to be a little late here and there, and I cannot stand it. I believe if you want to be a disciplined participant of society, you need to be on time.

5. I will stay out of trouble at school, I will stay in class, I will not make out with my girlfriend at school or games, I will be at school, I will try to do my best in school, I will stay out of trouble at school....believe it or not, every single standard on this list is something that has been dealt with in the past. We want to make sure that if we deal with it during the season, they have heard and agreed these are important standards.

6. I will not leave school early unless for a specific, excused reason. I will notify the coaching staff if I do leave early...this is a respect issue. We have practice, we have something else scheduled, I need to know if they are not going to be there. Plus, we may have to change some things up in practice if somebody gets ill or cannot be at practice.

7. I/We understand that the coaching staff reserves the right to deal with any unmentioned problems in the future at their discretion and within reason....this is to cover us in case something comes up we don't expect. We need to have the flexbility to make sure our players are living up to standards and not the lowest of the low either.

8. School standards: Must pass 5 solid classes, West Clark drug/alcohol policy....these are corporation mandated standards.

9. Haircuts should be above the collar, off the ears and above the eyebrows. No extreme sideburns, hair color or haircuts, no facial hair, no earrings during the season at any time, no visible tattoos during games...these are all perception things for the program. Call me old school, but I believe these are important standards because remember, the players are representing more than just themselves. They represent me, the student body, and the little old lady in row 22.

10. If you are late, you will run. If you miss, you will not start/play...this is also a respect issue. Respect the coaches, respect your teammates, and respect the game especially as it is played in Indiana.

11. Detentions should not happen and there is no policy, but if they ever get out of hand, there will be one implemented. And it will require circumstances so that it never happens again.

12. In school suspension=100 wall to walls for each day and suspension for 1/2 game for each day of ISS. On the 2nd separate ocassion, you will be removed from the team....perception and being held to a higher standard. I believe in second chances, but after that you will find something else to do other than basketball at HHS.

13. Out of school suspension=100 wall to walls for each day and suspended as many games as your OSS lasts. (Suspended for 3 days=300 wall to walls and 3 game suspension.) On the second separate OSS, you will be removed from the team....I have very little tolerance for out of school suspensions.

14. If any teacher talks to me about your behavior in school, the first time I will conference with you, the second time running will be involved.

It seems like more written out than it really is. Believe me, if they are decent human beings, players can go through four years of high school basketball at HHS and never have a problem with me. Disciplining players is one of the things I dislike about coaching, but is a necessary evil. Hopefully, our standards are things that they can carry over into their lives after school.