relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Loyalty.......

Does loyalty still exist? It is something that cannot be forced on someone or asked from someone, but it is a tangible that still exists for me. This is my blog, and I think that by getting some of my thoughts and beliefs in writing, it will help me understand me, but also help others on my insights.

My loyalty to my staff is that they are welcome to coach at HHS while I am there unless they are cancerous to the program. We have had assistants who yell, some who don't, some who use negative reinforcement, some who use positive and most of them do all of the above at any given time. I am far from perfect and often feel hypocritical when ever speaking with one of them about improving because I have done every stupid thing you can imagine in 18 years of coaching basketball. I try to take care of them with free Henryville basketball shirts/jackets, or at least discounted shoes for the season. I want them to feel that they are important to me and the program. I appreciate their time, effort and loyalty.

One of the things that I have tried to improve upon is showing more loyalty to the staff and administration. Not that I am out talking about everything that goes on, but there is a level of gossip that goes on with any position. I realize that my position is one which there tends to have a higher level of complaints, comparison, just plain communication about my job. I may speak about concerns with faculty or administration, but it is usually with a small group of my tight friends. I do it to air frustrations and to ask for advice, but even that needs to be cut back. I try to show loyalty to the staff by attending some of their events so they can know I appreciate the extra time and effort they put in for our school to strive.

I show loyalty to my players. One example is, I feel, that if you play basketball at Henryville from 5th grade all the way to your senior year, you should not be cut. As I have written before, fewer and fewer players stay with basketball for that amount of time. I believe that if a kid shows that kind of dedication, it demands to be rewarded. I have had this discussion with some who disagree, that by keeping seniors who might not play, who might not help it is taking away a space or time from a younger player who will help in the future. Maybe one day we will have the luxury to cut players because we have so many trying to play, but when we have 15-25 total guys trying to play, cuts should be one of the last things we do. However, if you have never played and try to play your junior or especially senior year, I feel you had better be pretty darn good, or you will be told to try something else in the winter.

I show loyalty to my players by trying to be consistent in upholding our team standards. By not doing so would show a disrespect to them that will only cheat them in the future. They may not understand that at the present moment, but it is a delayed reward. One that many players of the past have come and thanked me and the coaching staff for teaching them tough lessons, lessons not understood by 17 year olds, but is by 22 year olds.

I show loyalty to my players, and I have had many disagree with this, in that the older guys get the shot to play and contribute before the younger guys. Unless you are just an amazing talent at a young age, the older guys will get the first shot to win games for HHS. If they cannot get it done, I think it is fair to then give the younger players their chance. This idea goes back to the whole playing since 5th grade. If you are on the team, and considered one of the top 7-9 players, you should be given your shot because you have earned it. How long that shot is given depends on the back up players. If they are minimally talented, their shot may last longer, if they are highly talented, your shot may last a much shorter amount of time.

I hope I show loyalty to my former players in that each and every one of them who plays their senior year and graduates is welcome at any point to come to practice. They are welcome at any point to come into the locker room after a game to my office. They are welcome and will have an access that the casual fan does not have. I want to know how they are doing, are they succeeding, if not, why? What can I do to help?

I show loyalty to companies who have given us a good deal with the basketball program. Whether it is with shoes, travel suits, t-shirts, or anything we have bought to improve our program, I will go to them more often than not even if they raise their price a little higher than a competitor. Some would say that is stupid, but I have found it ensures more cooperation if something doesn't work out.

Loyalty, I show it with basketball and I show it with life. I know that I fall short in some of the things I have written about, but know that I do try to be better. I try to live up to these guidelines and standards because they are just that. Something to strive for. If you know everything or are the greatest at any endeavor, why try to improve? Many people who are the greatest in coaching basketball or in playing basketball still strive to improve. That proves to me that there is always something to learn, or improve upon.