relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, August 3, 2009

Sometimes You Have to do it Yourself




There are many jobs that need to be done around a school and more specifically for my purposes, the basketball program. Our custodians have plenty to do, so there are things that I have done to try to improve the overall look of the program. Maybe some things you don't even notice, but I do.

Here is a list from off the top of my head:
1. Dust the poles that the goals hang on. You wouldn't believe how much dust is in the rafters and gathers on those poles.
2. Have painted the side backboards. They were white when I took over, and I gave them a fresh coating of paint.
3. Put tape around the outside of the side backboards to look neater. Before there were just white backboards. Some of them had gray foam on them and other didn't. I made them look uniform.
4. Windex the glass backboards every 10 games. Get the ladder out and risk your life.
5. Clean the floor every day. We have a court clean system which cleans the floor way better than with just a broom. Includes using water and a new bacteria killing formula that "makes the water wetter".
6. Painted the floor of the locker room. When they did the construction a few years ago, it was almost as if they forgot to finish our locker rooms. They put a layer of sealant over top some ugly looking concrete. I painted our locker room Battleship Grey.
7. Laid the black base on the floor. Again, almost as if they forgot to finish our locker room.
8. Painted the office walls. The white paint was chipping away and I painted them gold with a strip of black at the bottom and top.
9. Sweep bleachers as needed. It is amazing how dirty they can get pulled in over the summer.
10. Raise and lower goals for games/practice.
11. Pull bleachers out for games/practice.
12. Scrape up gum off gym floor. I have a special tool for this.
13. Use wet towels to clean up coke and mud on floor. Usually carry a smaller wet towel around when sweeping or using court clean to make sure we get all the dirt.
14. Disinfect water bottles every 3 games and equipment twice a season. We want to make sure the bottles stay clean as well as the equipment.
15. Laid carpet, but lost the locker room to share for P.E. so I did #6.
Special thanks to Al Wheatbrook and Dale Robertson for the help they have given me in guiding me towards the direction I wanted to go. Also, Al helped with painting the locker room 5 years ago.

Doing these things has less to do with what I believe needs to be done by others and more with what I believe I should do. If you want to run a first class program, you must be willing to do the little things that you may not believe fall under your job description.
But....they do.