relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The End of Innocence...It Happens All the Time


I have often tried to do the right thing when being a coach. I probably have hurt some players and bent my values to do what I thought was best for the individual at that time. I know there are parents who are still upset with some of the decisions I have made in the past, and I have come to grips with that. I am probably too sensitive on such matters, and it does help that former players come back and thank me.

But, when you try to do something for your program, and an individual who was tantamount in your development as a person and basketball player/coach isn't honest with you....it hurts.

As I have often said that in these moments when you don't know if it is worth going on or not, you have to ask yourself: Do I want to quit or move on and confront the problem. Each moment that has happened, I have chosen to go on, but there will be a day when I say...."enough".