relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Write it Down

I recently got into a discussion about coaching clinics with a friend and writing everything down.  I made the comment that you can tell the new/younger coaches because they write everything down.  Older more experience coaches (from my experience) write less down.  Someone made a great point that the longer you coach, the more secure you are in what you are trying to get done and now what can or cannot be used for your program.

That sounded much better than my thoughts.  When I was younger I would write everything down and then clutter my mind up with so much new stuff that we rarely used any of it because I could remember everything.  I don't write as much down to keep it simple for me, to not clutter my mind.  I will write down 3-5 things and I can much better remember that than 3 pages of notes.

When I went to listen to Coach Meyer speak, he did say, however, to "write it down".  We can't expect with all that is going on to remember everything.  I have started to keep a notebook with me all the time just for that very thing.  It has helped...with little things that I often forgot.  I already write down my schedule in a calendar book, but writing down in the notebook little things that pop into my head helps me to remember them.

So, I guess in wrapping up that I "write it down", but not too much which I think is what you should do.  You shouldn't feel that everyone is writing down all of the things coming out of a coaches mouth at clinics and you should and vice versa.  There is no right and wrong with writing things down...do what is best for you.