relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, September 12, 2011

Always Learning....Pay Attention

If you aren't trying to learn something new every opportunity that you get, you are moving backwards.  I honestly believe that.  It can truly be a sign of arrogance to think that you know everything there is to know about everything.  I watch older people, mostly basketball coaches, that are much older than I am and yet they are constantly striving to learn something new.  I guess it is the respectful side of me that if I am watching people older and more importantly, more successful than I maybe it is something I should be doing.

We recently had Paul Hoover come in and give a shooting clinic to 4th-8th graders and he had some different ideas.  At first, the rigid part of me didn't appreciate some of the things he was saying or I should say "how" he was saying it.  His ideas on shooting, some of it was radically different and some of it was just little techniques to help what we teach already.

But I paid attention as he worked with young kids.  I paid attention because I want to find something that would help my guys out.  I paid attention out of respect.  I paid attention because he has been successful with his techniques.  And I paid attention because it's basketball...come on....it's basketball.