relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

She's the Best (Kristi)


My wife is the absolute best wife I could have. I'd argue she's right up there at the top of best coaches wives too.

She is patient with me in my typical male issues that I have and she is supportive. Maybe, especially in others' eyes, too supportive.

How many of your wives would say "yes" if you asked if you could go to Europe to work a basketball camp? Twice?

How many of your wives would say "yes" to going to Asia for two weeks to help coach a basketball team?

How many of them would allow you to go on trips with your friends or on a school field trip to Washington D.C. at the last second even though we have two children who are heavily involved in multiple activities?

Maybe all of your wives/spouses would be as supportive as mine, but I doubt it.

Here are five criteria to having a supportive spouse.

1. If you like to do many things that requires her patience, do not get aggravated or say "no" if she has the opportunity to do the same thing.

2. Know when and what could be the tipping point. If you ask too much even the best will get frustrated with you.

3. She should know that you love her and she can trust you. If you haven't done that, forget asking.

4. Having your families close to support her when you are gone is a huge, huge plus.

5. Show her thanks by being a good father and husband and a few back rubs wouldn't hurt.

Every single situation is different, and you have to figure out what is best for your relationship, but these 5 things have worked for us.

I'd like to say that I looked for these things when I married her, but I can't. They are her personality and she would be loving and supportive no matter who was lucky enough to end up with her.

Thankfully for me, I was that guy.