relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

If I Were a Young Christian or 7 Things I Wish I Had Known Earlier


I want to write about 7 things that I have come to understand as a Christian, and 7 things I wish I had heard when younger. Maybe it would have changed my ideas on faith earlier...probably not. I believe that most people only want to hear what they want to hear and will not change their hearts or minds until they are ready to hear. Many people think they are open minded, but few are, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. You are convicted in your beliefs, but at least listen. But anyway, here you go:

1. It's not about you: No matter if you believe in God or not (I do and believe it is about Him), this life isn't about you. I guess if you believe in social evolution, it should be, but it should be about helping others.

2. Judge, but don't condemn: Most Christians are assailed because we are judgmental...um...everybody is judgmental. I think Christians condemn a little too quickly because if you condemn any sinner, you had better start in the mirror first.

3. Forgiveness...see #1.

4. Go to church and ask questions: When you don't want to, go to church. When there is something you don't understand, ask questions. Research, use the Internet...but be faithful.

5. Self-control: As a Christian, you will be judged and condemned (funny how that works, huh?) quicker than anyone else. Show self control and constraint or get beat up for not. Really, it doesn't matter what you do, you will be condemned, but you can try.

6. Don't worry: There is very little we can control, I believe it is in God's hands, but beyond that can we control other people? Rarely. So worry less, I guess would be better.

7. Thank you and I'm sorry: Say thank you more than you ever mean it, but say it every time as though you mean it. Many people do many things for us, often when they don't want to and without much fanfare. A simple "thank you" can go a long way. And "I'm sorry". Listen. Say it. Mean it.
I could get into more detail and probably have more things pointed out about my faith and what I believe, but to me these are big cornerstones of my faith and life.