relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Public Speaking



Since the March 2nd tornado that destroyed our school at Henryville and I happened to be inside, I have been recommended to speak about my experience to many groups.  The Indiana University FCA rep Dave Hudson has done most of that recommending and I appreciate it.  Speaking in public is something that used to make me nervous and it still does to some point.  Because, I mean, why whould anyone want to hear what I have to say? 

When I practice a speech, it always seems to sound different in my head than it does when I actually give it.  I feel a responsibility to do a good job, whatever that means.  I probably am as insecure with that as anything I do because I feel that if you are recommended or asked, people should get their moneys worth (I don't get paid, so that takes some pressure off).

As I have spoken so much recently, I am finding that I have become less and less nervous before and during the speech.  I teach and have for going on 14 years, so getting up in front of people and talking is something I do for a living.  Speaking to a crowd of different kids and/or adults is definitely different and I am becoming more comfortable.

I have gotten to where I enjoy speaking to people.  I don't mind talking one on one or in small groups, so to move to larger groups seems natural and I enjoy it.  Again, I am not quite sure why people want to hear what I have to say, but as long as I am asked, I will prepare and do my best to do a "good job". 

I know that in speaking to basketball teams or other sports teams that I don't help coach, I can be much more honest than their coaches may be able to be.  I have no repercussions because I am just a volunteer brought in to speak.  It is actually refreshing to be able to say what I actually believe instead of sugar coating my words and I am smart enough when I am coaching to get right to the line of real trouble.  Some people it doesn't bother, me, it did.  I was able to get the point across without actually saying what most coaches believe.

I hope that speaking to groups is something that continues to present itself for me.  Not that I believe I have anything worth saying but because I enjoy it and maybe I can help in getting my faith across in some ways.  I can't think of something I enjoy doing more than speaking, sharing my faith, and feel that I have maybe said something that could inspire.  Maybe, just maybe I can do that.