relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Relationship with All Coaches in a Program

I think it is important as the varsity coach to be involved in the hiring of all the coaches at each level of his program. They must be able to make the decision on who coaches and ultimately who does not coach if they are to be held accountable at the highest level.

That is why I think it is important to have some sort of communication on a regular basis with those coaches. Then it is up to those coaches to follow through. I have an email list where I email all coaches different newsletters or practice plans on a daily basis. I have coaches who communicate with me on those emails. Often asking face to face about different drills and ideas. It is important to me with all of the things that I do and am responsible for to have motivated people who can survive on their own in these positions.

I give all coaches freedom, but want them to do similar stuff that we do. Most coaches visit our practices and incorporate stuff we do in their practices. I am more than happy to attend practices of all coaches and give pointers if they are interested.

It is important that you have coaches at all levels who at the least do not bad mouth you to community people or worse their teams. As the varsity coach, it important to form positive relationships at the younger age with these teams. If a coach at any level is personally attacking you as the head coach, it creates a bad atmosphere. That is when administration support is highly imortant.

Finally, relationships with coaches at all levels must be supported by administration at all levels. Many administrators have coached some sport at some point in their careers and understand this. I feel highly fortunate to have had supportive administration while being the varsity basketball coach.