relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Mid-Season

As we approach the ten game mark, I often like to look back at what we have gone through and where we are going. We sit at 3-6, not exactly stellar. I try to have realistic expectations, I mean, I do think we can go undefeated every single year, but when you look at our schedule and who we have played, we have played a pretty tough schedule by many standards.

I have always tried to give upper classment their fair (what I believe to be fair) opportunity to show what they can do, but at some point....well, they have to get it done on the court. Individual statistics and overall team record are the barometer in which I gauge if they are doing just that. We have had a couple of freshmen who have helped us offensively in the last two games and will be given more of an opportunity in the future. The only thing I tell players who are not playing is when they get a chance show me that I am quite stupid for not playing you. It has happened a couple of times this year and I enjoy watching guys raise their games.

By this time, especially it seems when you are losing, you have heard enough about this or that or what we can be doing to be better or who should be playing. If you knew every intimate detail of advice I have been given you would have a better understanding at what we as coaches go through.

Some great things that have come out of the first half of the season: first, we have very good guys on the team. In fact, that may be one of our negatives as we have no strong, vocal leadership. Second, the guys come to practice ready to work now as opposed to the first few weeks of practice. Third, we have raised money for the American Cancer Society, and Fourth I think we are making progress.

We look forward to the second half of the season with our first game back at Trinity Lutheran. After defeating them earlier in the season, I am sure they will be ready for us when we arrive in Seymour. It would be nice to have many of our fans be there to counter balance their home court advantage.