relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, April 18, 2016

Highs and Lows


I like rap music, I have since I heard it back in the mid 80's.

I will never forget hearing King of Rock by Run-DMC...created a feeling inside of me I had never felt before.

I've often said that I was the first person at Henryville HS to like rap music, it was 1984, King of Rock and I hadn't heard anyone else listening to it. But I digress...

Since then I have listened to rap and there are great lyrics that  come out of some of the music. Yes, there are coarse lyrics also, but good stuff.

In the last few years as I have grown in my faith, I have started listening to what some deem as "Christian" rappers. My favorites are Lecrae and Andy Mineo.

Mineo does a great job lyrically getting points across (here is his latest faith challenging song; Uncomfortable), but I was listening to one of his songs the other day and he used the term "high opinion, low commitment" in a song.

Have you ever heard something and the lyrics hit you so hard that you could be pushed over by a feather? That did it.

My first reaction was to think of all the years I have coached and listened to people complain especially in the anonymity of social media. So many opinions, so little commitment other than complaining.

Then as I thought about it, I realized that despite all of the self-motivated memes I share on Twitter, I have done the same thing?

How many times have I complained, but am not willing to do more? A lot.

Are you high opinion, low commitment? Sure, I am sure you are high commitment in many aspects of your lives, but before you complain about something else that you are involved in...have you committed anything? Have you volunteered?

If yes, great.

If no, rethink what, when and how you say it.