relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Welcome to the Comfort Zone


It's Easter this Sunday, it is the biggest holiday for Christians, or at least it should be.  The crucifixion of Christ and his empty tomb is what has saved all of us that believe that Jesus is the Messiah. It's a big deal.  If you know anything about what happened to Jesus before he was crucified, you know that he was beaten horribly, taunted, spit on, then nailed to a cross.  For you.

Now I cannot imagine what I would do for someone who did that for me that I could see and touch.  Of course, you will not be able to see and touch someone who has been killed for you, but let's take it down a notch.  If you were going to lose your home and you needed a large chunk of change to keep your family there and someone gave you the money, not loaned, but gave it to you would you not feel you owed that person something, at least a couple hours a week of your time?

Yet, we have been given the greatest gift and we do not feel that we owe everything for it.  How can I say that?  Some excuses for not attending church on Sunday that I have heard: "I am too tired to get up", "I can't get the kids ready", "It's not important for me to be there every Sunday", "We were out too late Saturday", and "I know I should do better, but...(fill in the blank)".

Too tired to get up.  We seem to do just fine during the work week getting up and getting to work. But we have to, right?  If not, we lose our job.  I am usually exhaused on Sunday, I get up at 6:30 AM during the week, I actually sleep in until 7:45 on Sundays and it is nice.  Call me old, but I love my nap after lunch, too on Sundays.

Can't get the kids up.  During the week, it is a fight most mornings, but we seem to get them up and ready by 7 AM, yet we have a hard time getting them up and ready for 9:45.  To be fair, my wife does this and she is the more motivated of us two when it comes to getting to church on Sunday.

Not important for you to be there every Sunday.  I agree, we don't have to be there every Sunday, but if somebody loaned me money to save my home, I would probably be where they told me to be once a week for the rest of my life.  Yet, it seems so many of us struggle to do that for Christ.

Out too late Saturday.  We like to go out and relax sometimes on a Saturday night, but I feel that what has been done for me motivates me to get up and worship.  I mean, we get to sleep in til 9:30 if all we are going to do is attend church.  That should be enough sleep if we really want it to be.

I know I should do better.  Yep, we should and we can justify anything we do or do not do.  It is part of the human condition.  We do not like to get out of our comfort zone and it is just church, right?

So I am asking...doesn't Jesus deserve more from us?  I think so.