relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

It's a Big Deal





When I was younger, I was laser focused on becoming a head basketball coach in Indiana. 

I did it.

I achieved what I'd always wanted in my young adult hood, and I did that job for seven years. It was a good seven years in many ways, but there were enough bad things that I decided to hang it up.

Will I ever be a head coach again? Maybe...maybe not. 

Would I be interested? Sure. 

Am I looking? No. 

There are a couple of things that bother me: 1. I never won a sectional as a head coach, but that doesn't bother me as much as the second issue. 2. My daughter remembers a little me being in charge, but my son doesn't. He's heard the stories, but I am "just" the assistant to him.

With that said, I have been an assistant at Silver Creek HS going on the third season.

After sitting out a season, I wanted to coach again, I knew I had something to give, so I contacted the Head Coach, Brandon Hoffman and he allowed me to join his staff.

I cannot say enough how wonderful he has been allowing me to coach again and allowing my family to be involved with what we do here, especially my son.  

It's a big deal to be a head basketball coach in Indiana.

It's a big deal to be an assistant basketball coach in Indiana.

It's a bigger deal to be good role models and parents and Coach Hoffman is and allows me to be both.