relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

You're Going to Make Mistakes

(We all make mistakes, like I paid $2 for water here in St. Augustine at the alleged Fountain of Youth...I'm still aging.)

I know I have...a lot.  You can do one of two things.  You can admit to it or you can deny it.  Too often in today's political society, independent of political party, you never see them admitting to mistakes.

As a leader, it is important to be willing to accept you don't know everything and even if you did, you probably will mess up from time to time.  As a coach, you don't have to publically admit to the mistake, some do, some don't, but it is important to know it yourself.

It's my belief that to be seen as an authentic leader today, you had to admit those mistakes...sometimes.  You can't do it all of the time or then those you are leading lose the belief that you are a true leader, so it's an equation that is dependent on many things.

Admit you were wrong, but don't do it enough that you lose credibility.  No one is perfect and we will all make mistakes, and sometimes, like me...too many.