relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I'm Back!




Borden

Looks like I am back coaching again....as a head coach (I will accept that title lightly)!  It is girls...at the elementary level.  Silver Creek girls' coach Scott Schoen asked if my daughter wanted to play at the 3rd/4th grade level on a team this spring and asked if I would coach.  I said yes to both, after asking Madison.  I spoke to my wife, and she had no problem with it and my son is so glad to be in a gym, he doesn't care either.  He may not even know what is going on while playing in there.

I thought that I may not want to coach my children, and I still may not, but after taking a season off from coaching, I look forward to this.  I told my wife Kristi that I have no doubt that I will coach at a much less intense level than I did as a varsity boys' coach.  I will not get frustrated with the girls, I will not get frustrated with the officials, I will not (hopefully) get frustrated with the parents of the girls I am coaching, but there is one group that I am afraid may hear from my frustration.

My goal is to get these girls better by working on fundamentals.  Those fundamentals will be dribbling, passing, shooting, and on defense.  We will work on man to man defense only and probably will not press unless down at the end of the game.  However, I realize that pressing and zone are a part of the rules and we will see those defenses.  In my opinion, and in the opinion of Coach Schoen, that kind of thing is a total waste of time for what he wants to get accomplished in developing his young players and in trying to teach fundamentals,  and to try and teach the game of basketball.

But, I realize that I will see that stuff, and I realize that some of the people you will go against will be trying to win...period.  Winning would be nice, but at that level, winning is the last thing on my mind, but we will try to do so within the confines of what is the right thing to do, in my opinion.