relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Don't Give Up

Luke 4:21-30

Jesus speaking
21 He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”
22 All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his lips. “Isn’t this Joseph’s son?” they asked.
23 Jesus said to them, “Surely you will quote this proverb to me: ‘Physician, heal yourself!’ And you will tell me, ‘Do here in your hometown what we have heard that you did in Capernaum.’”
24 “Truly I tell you,” he continued, “no prophet is accepted in his hometown. 25 I assure you that there were many widows in Israel in Elijah’s time, when the sky was shut for three and a half years and there was a severe famine throughout the land. 26 Yet Elijah was not sent to any of them, but to a widow in Zarephath in the region of Sidon. 27 And there were many in Israel with leprosy[a] in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet not one of them was cleansed—only Naaman the Syrian.”
28 All the people in the synagogue were furious when they heard this. 29 They got up, drove him out of the town, and took him to the brow of the hill on which the town was built, in order to throw him off the cliff. 30 But he walked right through the crowd and went on his way.

We have talked about this is Sunday school, that often the people closest to you are those that are hardest to reach with your faith or even in your job.  I know that I feel often that administrators and coaches from other schools ask for my opinion or follow my advice more than those closest to me.  I know that I feel that many people where I am from do likewise.  I know that I feel my own family does it, too sometimes.  I feel that when I leave here and venture out, the appreciation is much higher for what I have been through and what I have to say. 

I think there are two main reasons for this. 

One, the people closest to you know you.  That can have negative consequences because of their memories.  No matter what you say or do today, they remember what you have done and said in the past, and let's be honest, none of us are perfect.  That means that many of our mistakes from the past are not forgotten, and depending on the person, are never far from their own thoughts. Maybe I can fool some of the people some of the time away from here, but home, well, they know me.

Second, people that are closer to you are used to what you have to say and do.  They may have seen your "advice" in action and don't need to ask for it.  They often don't listen because they don't want to seem like they are not in control, that you may know something that could help, or that would be helpful.  To them, it shows weakness and may be their lack of ability to follow even when leading.

I, by no means, have all the answers, in fact, some days I feel I have none.  

I guess I am writing this to show you that your frustration in your given situation, where you are located, is not a new predicament.  People feel helpless where they are closest in many situations, including Jesus of Nazareth.  But don't quit the good fight, keep plugging away.  Help those you can closest to you and continue reaching out where you go.  Stay the course and do work that is presented to you and help when possible. 

Do not become frustrated and negative, because you are still doing everything for the glory of God.