relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Friday, March 2, 2012

Myself by "America's Poet" Edgar Guest



I have to live with myself, and so,
I want to be fit for myself to know.

I want to be able as days go by
Always to look myself straight in the eye.

I don't want to stand with the setting sun
And hate myself for the things I've done.

I don't want to keep on a closet shelf
A lot of secrets about myself.

And fool myself as I come and go
Into thinking that nobody else will know

The kind of man I really am;
I don't want to dress myself up in shame.

I want to go out with my head erect
I want to deserve all men's respect;

But here in this struggle for fame and self,
I want to be able to like myself.

I don't want to think as I come and go
That I am bluster and bluff, and empty show.

I never can hide myself from me
I see what others may never see.

I know what others may never know
I never can fool myself - and so

Whatever happens, I want to be,
Self-respecting, and conscience free.