relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Friday, August 5, 2011

How Do I Stay Positive?

Some people think I am a pretty positive person, some maybe not.  I have tried and I am sure, in fact, I know that I am not always positive.  I am human and sometimes let the world bring me down.  But there are two things that I do to try and remain positive....every day....no matter the circumstance and I am saying this from a perspective that I have been very fortunate in my life.  Fortunate in that I haven't had to deal with severe adversity.  I am not untouched by it and have dealt with it in my personal life, but in the grand scheme of things, I am highly blessed.

1. I force myself to be positive.  When I cannot handle what is going on or something is really getting to me, I will blog about it (quite cathartic) or I will sit and think about how blessed I am.  I have a job/career that I enjoy; a family that is relatively healthy and happy; and financially doing "okay".  Comparatively speaking, it isn't that bad and I remind myself that it isn't about me in every way you can take that statement, so I tell myself to quit whining and to stop feeling sorry for myself.

2. It can always be worse.  Last year we weren't winning. It could be worse.  We had suspensions.  It could be worse.  We had injuries.  It could be worse.  We lost close games.  It could be worse.  We lost by large margins.  It could be worse.  If your professional life isn't what you want at the moment, focus on how lucky you are to be alive.  If your own health isn't what it should be, look at your family, specifically your children and see how lucky they are to be healthy.  If they aren't think about how blessed you are to have had the years you had or the time with your family.  I do believe there are certain things that even I would struggle with but it has to do with my own children. There is nothing that could happen to me or any other adult that I wouldn't be upset about, probably depressed, but eventually "get over" because of my children.  My children are my weakest spot, the place where I would need much help in dealing with something that happened to them.

I don't like to claim or boast about my faith, but I won't back down from it either.  If you ask, I will discuss it, but I also use my faith, my belief in Jesus Christ.  When I realize that I am not in control of this world or the plans laid out for me, it takes much of the worry out of me.  As I have told people that doesn't mean I can just lay around and expect anything, I must use the gifts I was given and help to give back the many blessings that I have.

With all of that said, I fail.  I fail often in being positive (claming that is inherently negative isn't it?).  I look around and see people who don't do things ethically and sometimes illegally and wonder how they can be successful and I haven't been.  And that is when I realize that "the world" is seeping into my psyche and turn my eyes elsewhere.