relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

How Accountable am I When They are Away from My Reach?

One of the biggest debates going on in Indiana education today is whether teachers salaries should be based on merit pay. What merit pay is as American as it comes. You do well, you get more money, you do poorly, you get less. That is America!

But, can teachers really be held accountable for poor grades and test scores which merit pay would be based upon? Yes, we can do a good or bad job in the classroom and that will affect some of those things in one way or another, but isn't really what happens at home what will affect these things majorly? What can they eat? When do they go to bed? How important is education in the home? What is the attitude towards the school in the home? Should students be suspended for behavior? What if a student can't read when he gets to my class, how am I responsible? These are all things that teachers cannot control, but will have their jobs riding on the answers to those questions.


As a coach, I wonder sometimes how much should I be held accountable for the behavior of my players when they are not within reach. I talk to them daily about behavior, character, integrity, toughness, responsibility, and I wonder if it sinks in. They are with me for 2 hours at the least daily during the season, should I be held accountable for them when they leave?