relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

No Complaining Rule, Yea Sure


Yesterday, I posted about a book about not complaining.  It is a very good book, but anyway, last night we had our intramurals for 4th and 5th graders.  Our family is dealing with my sister in law being back in ICU (hopefully things are fine), my wife is in Nashville with her while she goes through this (leaving me as Mr. Mom for my two kids, it is amazing what my wife does and I just help) and I am responsible for both kids, and I have my responsibilities here as well as getting back into shape as I officiate our games for our intramurals.  So I was tired last night, real tired and aggravated, and mentally weak, and...well, I hope you get the picture.

In other words, life is happening, I am busy and I wouldn't want it any other way.  Yet, after posting about the book and the "no complaining" rule, I felt all I did last night was complain.  "I am tired, I wish Kristi were here, why can't my kids listen, why are these little kids running their mouths?" Etc, etc.  It made me feel better, I think, but it is something that those around me do not need heaped upon their already full lives.  Full lives with things they would very much like to complain about.

I think as professionals, especially coaches, we are striving for perfection.  We are striving for perfection in others and in ourselves.  And really, how dumb is that?  Perfection does not exist.  It is something that exists in our minds, but not in the real world.  However, I think it is that need to reach perfection which makes so many professionals successful.  How?  Because by striving perfection, you will reach pretty darn good.  If you reach for pretty darn good, you will reach good and so on and so forth.  I guess I am stuck with this then as it is part of my DNA and feeling of inadequacy that I grew up with, the need to be "good enough".

I guess no matter how many books I read, no matter how much philosophy I read and agree with, I am human.  I won't be able to completely cure my inefficiencies or lack of selfishness, but I can temper it.  The greatest thing I am doing this morning is recognizning what I did last night and that I will try to be better.  I won't be perfect, but I will be better, or at least try today because I can't speak for tomorrow.  Tomorrow is another day and do you realize all I have to do today!?