relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, November 7, 2011

Stop and Think


Last year we dealt with quite a few things off the court and it led to our inability to function as a successful team.  We realized that we can't control everything they do off the court, but I felt we could try.  I had seen these little cards that Coach Don Meyer gives out at every speaking engagement I have been at by him and I liked the message.

I thought it was so good and so important that I not only had my own notecards (with my home phone, my cell and my wife's cell phone numbers they can use in case of emergency) made but also a poster that we put up in the locker room.  My assistant coach Chris McKain came up with the idea of signing the board.  It does two things, we know that they have seen it for sure, and by signing will give them more accountability as by signing it and me putting it online shows their commitment to follow the words on the poster.

This does not guarantee that some of the same events that took place last year won't happen again, but it does show that the coaching staff is making a concerted effort to keep it from happening and helping our guys out by the constant reminder as they walk out of our locker room.  Please feel free to help keep them accountable not just today, this season, but all the time.