relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Note to Self: Get in Better Shape Before Basketball Season Next Year

Being a teacher is a spoiling vocation.  When we can take two months off in the summer, it gets me out of so many habits like waking up and going to sleep at decent hours of the day.  Also, I don't talk as much or as loudly.  When school begins it seems that it is taking longer and longer to get my "teaching feet" under me.  When I first started teaching I could do that in one week, now it takes, well let's just say it takes longer.

But about the time that I can finally handle the getting up early, the talking and the getting to bed at a decent hour along comes basketball.  It is always a change because I am up at the school even longer and talking even more and many times much, much louder.  It used to take a week to get my "coaching feet" under me, but this year I have noticed a huge difference in my energy level when I get home.

Monday was our first day of practice and I was flat wiped out tired that night, fell asleep very well with a slightly sore throat.  I woke up Tuesday feeling much older than I actually am and a weaker voice, but ready to go for another day.  Then Tuesday night I really hit the wall and my voice is much weaker today (Wednesday). 

I have to remember to be in better shape next year, and it probably wouldn't hurt to do something right now to improve the way I feel.  When I was an assistant I played more than I do as a head coach and it helped for me to stay in some sort of shape.  Now, I want to watch what is going on and you can't do that as much by playing, so I watch....and get lazy....and lose motivation to be in better shape.  This all sounds like such a horrible example to set to boys that I tell must work hard every day to be better.

Starting now, I will begin......trying to think.....about maybe......running/walking......every.......day.....maybe.