relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

I'm Sorry, but Really, I'm Not Sure For What




I remember when I played and my mom told me a story that occurred during a high school basketball game.

Our coach was pretty aggressive and wasn't afraid to yell at us, directly, by name.

He used to have his favorites, and one game he was yelling at a teammate of mine and his mother turned around and looked at my mom and said "If he yells at *** again and doesn't yell at Perry, we will have a problem!"

Like my mom had anything to do with who Coach yelled at or not, but that mother seemed to think so.

I didn't get it really until my own children have played sports and really until my son has aged and become more experienced.

The jealousy never existed of my daughter, well, it did, but not until recently, but my son...

I just don't understand it.

I don't understand because my wife and I have cheered for all other players my kids have played for wanting them to feel success also.

I don't know if it's a jealousy at my son, or if this group of parents think that I am pulling strings (which I don't do intentionally) to benefit my children.

If we do anything, we try to make coaches feel relaxed to bench our kiddos anytime they feel it's needed, to make an example if necessary.

But I realize that some form of favoring could happen because we are supportive parents of coaches, for the most part and those coaches realize that.

But it's not my fault and it sure as heck isn't my kids fault.