relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Held to a Higher Standard and That's All Right

Matthew 12:36 "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment.

Do my life and my words align with my Sunday attendance at church?

Of course they don’t, no one does because even as we are saved, we still sin…too often.

If you’re surprised by those words, then you are not being honest with yourself and ultimately to God about your own behavior.

Too often, we claim to be something and behave differently. We all do, me more than others I fear too much.

But one difference between us and non-believers should be that we are aware of our hypocrisies. Yes, we are all hypocrites about something.

But we should be aware of ours.

And we should try to minimize them.

And apologize, yes, we should apologize when we notice them in ourselves towards ourselves or towards others.

Growing up as an agnostic, I could not handle the hypocrites in the church, then one-day Brother Mike Abbott explained to me how Jesus did not like them either…an amazing epiphany for me at the time, and really still today.

So I’ve tried to be more like Jesus in all aspects of life. You say “yea, so that’s what you should do”, but then I see so many not Godly things posted on social media and wonder what non-believers think about hypocritical behavior.

I can hear them; “See…those Christians are a bunch of hypocrites, they post things to make other people look bad, make other people angry, make fun of people, and then they have scripture or a picture of a cross in their profile pic…. geez.”

And Satan wins a small battle at that moment.

I’m not judging you, I’m trying to hold myself accountable.

Sure, coaches and superintendents and teachers and bosses and school board members and other parents do make mistakes. They may not always do what you agree with and you feel that venting on social media is the best thing to do, but I will ask you one question:

If your child, or spouse, or good friend was in one of these positions and you got on social media and saw unfounded or exaggerated statements, heck even true statements because we all want our actions splashed on Facebook, how would you feel?

I’m asking because these people in leadership positions are not super human.

They are people just like I am and even more so…they have spouses and children and parents that hear and read these horrible things too often from people who have a biblical scripture tied to their identity.

We are all hypocrites about something, we can’t avoid it in our sinful nature, but are we as followers of The Nazarene aware of those hypocrisies?

And are we attempting to lessen and hopefully someday remove them?


I know I have a long way to go and I would appreciate your prayers because I sin and fall short too many times.