relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Friday, January 10, 2014

Before and After the "Dream"

(Sit down! Coach Hunter)
Before I was a head coach, I wanted to be one.  I had all these great ideas about how I, Perry Hunter, would run a varsity basketball team.  I had great ideas and would implement them as soon as I had a team.  But, I was afraid to offer such ideas to the head coaches because then I would be held accountable especially if he tried them during a game.  Often, I just kept those ideas in my head, rarely offering advice, and wondering why the head coach wouldn't do what I would, even though I wouldn't offer up help.

Then I became a head coach, and I realized that you cannot do that job by yourself.  I needed help, often from people who thought like I used to think, but it was appreciated.  I got more comfortable with behing held accountable (Wins and Losses) for what I did as a coach.  You have to make so many decisions, often quickly that every one could cause the game to turn and go bad...or good.

Now, I am in the post head coach assisting time.  I have no desire, right now, to be a head coach again.  Probably never will, but I don't know.  I didn't think I would resign when I did when I finally got my "dream" job.  But now I find myself with the same thoughts about how I would do things.  And I do offer advice.  I just feel extremely uncomfortable in offering too much because I am not in charge.  And I know that sometimes as a head coach, I got a little over loaded with "help", sometimes I just wanted people to be quiet.  I am still in the process of learning when to speak up, when to stay silent and more importantly HOW I offer advice.  "What I always did"....can come off wrong and should be avoided as much as possible.  It's the coaching equivalent to "Well, when I used to play".  Often the opening words can shut down the listener because, really, who cares.

I have had a couple of conversations with my head coach, and one thing I want him to feel comfortable with is 1. I do not want his job, I have his back. and 2. I want him to feel free to tell me to be quiet as I will not take it personally....ever.  Even if he snaps at me during a game (it hasn't happened, but I might have done it a time or two, so it's possible), I want to him to know that I understand.  There is lots of pressure coaching high school basketball in Indiana and all I want to do is help.  That's where everything comes from, me wanting to help.

My coach has made it clear many times that isn't something that I need to worry about, but I do.  I do because I've been in his shoes, and I don't want to be a hinderance, but a soothing help, whatever that means.