relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Sunday, June 3, 2012

It's All About Relationships...Stupid



Two weeks ago with about two days left before school was out, I received a text from the new Crothersville boys' basketball coach Greg Kilgore.  Coach Kilgore asked something I had never been asked before (probably because I was also coaching) and that was to come and talk to his team.  Crothersville is located in Jackson county, has had limited success in the last 20 years, but for a 1A team, they were as good as anyone around this year.  They had size, a point guard who was intelligent and coachable, and a very good coach in Clint Waskom.

Coach Kilgore is a lifer at Crothersville.  He played there and has helped with coaching for many years.  Coach Clint Waskom decided after the season, he didn't want to coach varsity basketball anymore, right now (sounds familiar) and Coach Kilgore tried to find someone to take over, but he applied also.  He was then rewarded the honor of coaching.  I asked Coach when I was up the other day if he felt like his shoulders were heavier...he laughed and agreed.  He has inherited a team that lost that size and point guard.  He has inherited a team with little experience returning.  But he has inherited a program run by Coach Waskom and stamped by the talented senior class and their work ethic that just graduated recently.

Back to the story, Coach Kilgore and I have spoken a few times about basketball and about what books we are reading.  When he asked, I was honored to head up and do what he asked.  I spoke to the team about 3 important things. 

1. Because it was summer basketball, I felt compelled to talk about that.  One of the criticisms of people about summer basketball is that coaches demand too much, maybe some do, maybe some don't, but the criticism is that we need to back off and "let kids be kids".  I couldn't agree more, but....how many adults do you know that wouldn't quit their jobs to play sports all week, hang out with friends, and other cool things in the summer...yea, I thought so that's why I chose education.

2. I can be way more honest with players now that I don't coach.  I can tell them what are definite things that tear teams apart, what the odds that any of them will play college basketball and about how each coach is trying to win games.  No coach is intentionally trying to lose.  They may try to teach lessons, but they will still try to win.  Some people actually think that coaches are only coaching for their selfish desire, but they do want to win.  If a player isn't playing, or is, or the coach is running some sort of offense or defense, they are trying to win.

3. Finally, I touched on what is the most important thing in life.  They are playing basketball, so they should take it serious...it is basketball in Indiana for gosh sakes!  But I knew this before the tornado on March 2, but it became even more obvious after that day, that life is about relationships.  I personally believe that number 1 is your relationship with Jesus Christ, however, I know that not everyone feels this way, but I do think the most important second thing is your relationship  with others.  How do you treat people?  How long do you hold on to that poisonous resentment over something petty or even something not petty?  How often do you ignore people that need you, that you might be an answer to a prayer?

That's why when Coach Kilgore texted and then we spoke, I made sure that I was able to find a time and day soon to do what my friend asked.  I would do just about anything to help coaches because we have shared experiences and problems and stresses.  Crothersville's players are not known by me other than a scouting report, but if I could give them something that they could use, good.  Hopefully, I did give them something at best, at worst, I was able to help a friend in Coach Kilgore.

We have three options when dealing with people, we can tear them down (anonymous message boards), we can be indifferent (which is sometimes worse than tearing someone down), or we can help.  I believe it takes about as much effort to do any of those three things, as an assistant coach, as a head coach, as an administrator, and most importantly as a fan or parent.